Email this operator
The Charleston Hotel, State Highway 6, PO Box 7, Charleston , New Zealand
Categories: West Coast (North) - Eco Tours, West Coast (North) - ONZAMAP Videos
Add to My Onzamap
Geoff Schurr & Ray Moroney, two leading cavers and educationalists established underworld Adventures Ltd in 1987. It was upon this experience that Underworld Adventures was created to provide four distinct internationally acclaimed cave & karst experiences.
Underworld Rafting & The GlowWorm Cave Tours are adventures in one of NZ's largest unmodified Cave Systems complete with spectacular Stalactites & Stalagmites creations & galaxies of GlowWorms that are unequalled on this planet. Adventure Caving is a full-on exploration style activity in a superb sporty active water cave complete with abseils, climbs, crawls and squeezes.
- Underworld Rafting - Is our premier activity & the one for which we developed our international reputation. Underworld Rafting is a very special Cave Rafting adventure where you explore the formation filled upper levels before meeting the underground lake to float beneath the most amazing displays of GlowWorms. You complete the journey having fun bouncing down the Nile River Rapids. This is a soft eco-adventure suited to those with confidence in water, 10 and over. Allow 4hrs.
- The GlowWorm Cave Tour - Is a dry passive version of the internationally acclaimed "Underworld Rafting". In this fully interpreted soft eco-tour visitors travel by Rainforest Train to the huge Nile River GlowWorm Caves System and are spellbound by the spectacular displays of Stalactites and Stalagmites and surreal galaxies of GlowWorms. This activity is suited for all that can walk unassisted on uneven surfaces. Allow 3.5 - 4hrs
- Adventure Caving - Is full-on expedition style caving at its best- complete with abseils, climbs, crawls and squeezes. This is a challenging world class adventure suited only to those fit in body and mind, 16 and older. Allow 5hrs
- The Nile River Rainforest Train - is a short interpretative train journey in open carriages through primeval rain forests in the Nile River Canyon. You will pass through the film sites of "The Lost World" and explore majestic cave & karst country. Suited to all, young & old, fit or not so fit. There is wheel chair access. Allow 1.5hrs return.
- We operate in one of NZ’s largest cave systems in the Paparoa National Park and have undoubtedly one of the best-decorated caves with the best GlowWorm Displays on this planet.
- We are not, and do not want to be a large commercial show cave; rather we prefer to interpret the cave in its natural unmodified state, with small groups, the way it was found. This ensures a very personalised tour making it necessary to charge more than other similar experiences advise our visitors of the uneven surfaces that they will be walking upon along with the necessity to walk in a crouched position for two short periods.
- We have a small Rainforest Train that transports our guests through a spectacular limestone canyon close to the cave. We provide free digital images to participants of all water activities.
- Our current visitation is in excess of 10,000 per year and as such we are the largest tourism operators in the Northern West Coast Region.
- Be assured that we have simply stunning activities in an overwhelming unspoiled environment. We have a policy where we undersell and over deliver.
We operate from The Charleston Hotel that is situated alongside State Highway 6 in Historic township of Charleston 20minutes drive south of Westport or 30 minutes north of Punakaiki and The Pancake Rocks.
A courtesy coach for caving participants is available from Westport or for groups of 6 or more- from Punakaiki.
On street Parking available at our base in the Charleston Hotel adjacent to SH 6 in the historical Goldmining township of Charleston.
-Westport airport is serviced twice daily from Wellington and is 20minutes drive time from Charleston
-The ”Intercity”, “Kbus” & “Atomic Shuttle” bus services stop in Charleston on demand as part of their northern and southern links between Nelson - Westport - Greymouth
-“Intercity” connects with the “Tranz Alpine” Railway in Greymouth on a daily basis.
-The East West Express is a scheduled bus service connecting daily with Christchurch and Westport.
- Claudia Snijder - The Netherlands
- Jeannie Bourke - Centre Manager, Greymouth i-SITE Visitors Centre
- Mick, Heather, Jarrah, Alannah & Cheska