Email this operator
Mangatarere Valley, Carterton , New Zealand
Categories: Wairarapa - Eco, Wairarapa - Walks
Add to My Onzamap
The Lodge at the French Village is situated at the head of a picturesque valley in the foothills of the Tararua Ranges in the Wairarapa. The Lodge provides peaceful accommodation among native New Zealand bush and is the base for Walk Wairarapa.
The Lodge is perfect for:
- A 3 day catered and guided walking experience (reasonable level of fitness required)
- Wellingtonians looking for a retreat over the hill.
- Visitors from outside the region looking for wilderness adventures, combined with the Wairarapa experience.
- Locals who enjoy local experiences.
- Weddings and social gatherings
- Team-building for groups.
- Family holidays
- Business and seminar facilities available
- Quiet escape and wind-down for professionals.
Lodge Accommodation and Facilities:
- Three bunk rooms with 14 single beds, 1 queen bed, 1 very comfortable sofa bed.
- Two Large bathrooms, 3 toilets
- Fully furnished
- Kitchen has gas hob and oven, plus barbeque in covered courtyard and is well stocked.
- CD player, no broadcast TV, no cell phone reception, landline in lodge.
Take a guided walk amongst pristine New Zealand bush from your base at The French Village. The Lodge is right on the doorstep of the Tararua Forest Park with its abundant and unspoilt native flora and fauna. Walk Wairarapa can tailor a guided bush walk to your requirements. Below is the outline of a typical 3-day Tararua bush trek.
Arrival previous evening for dinner, and relaxing short orientation walk.
After breakfast, (eggs, bacon, toast and cereal are provided in the pantry) at an agreed time, we set off for a 6 hour guided walk through regenerating manuka, then into old Maire and Beech forest, and up onto a ridge with fantastic views out over the Wairarapa basin.
A delicious packed lunch is provided by the guide.
Return approximately 4pm, to relax.
Dinner is delivered around 7pm.
After breakfast, walk up a valley through pockets of Beech, following a stream, then up through regenerating Totara and Rimu forest, circling back to the lodge.
Duration approximately 4 hours.
Again, a packed lunch is provided, and dinner delivered at 7pm.
Option of a Pilates class to ease the body, and / or a 2 hour stroll to a magnificant Kaihikatea (approx 500 years old).
Bring a day pack for water and camera etc.
Sturdy walking shoes recommended
Hats, sunscreen and jackets essential, as the Tararuas can deliver 4 seasons in one day.